An Asthma attack is often caused by allergens, smog and other irritants. When someone with asthma inhales these substances their lungs react in a very specific way that makes it difficult for them to breathe. The bronchioles (the smallest tubes) will tighten causing an overproduction of mucus which clogs the airways making breathing even more uncomfortable than before the inhalation occurred.
Did you know that;
- Asthma can be life threatening and everyday in the UK alone on average 3 people will sadly die from an asthma attack.
- 5.4 million people in the UK are currently receiving treatment for asthma: 1.1 million children (1 in 11) and 4.3 million adults (1 in 12).
- Every 10 seconds someone is having a potentially life-threatening asthma attack in the UK.
- Around 200,000 people in the UK have severe asthma, this is a debilitating form of the condition that doesn’t respond to usual treatments and can cause people to be in and out of hospital
- The NHS spends around £1 billion a year treating and caring for people with asthma.
- In 2016/17 (the most recent data available) there were 77,124 admissions to hospital for asthma in the UK.
- In 2017 (the most recent data available) 1,484 people in the UK died from an asthma attack in the UK
First Aiders are required in every business to manage and deliver First Aid to employees and non employees who may need emergency assistance until the arrival of the emergency services. Asthma is one of those conditions that can go from critical to deadly in minutes!
At Essential 6 we’ll train your first aid team to act promptly, safely and effectively for any situation.
We provide a wide range of First Aid training from venues in Torquay, Exeter and Plymouth on our public courses available to book here.
Alternatively should you need your team trained and put through their paces then we can come to you at your premises across the UK and help you build you an outstanding First Aid Team.
To enquire and discuss how we can help you build an effective first aid team in your company then call us on 08452723558 or email [email protected]