This course gives you a very good understanding of First Aid. The first aid course is designed to provide cover for the workplace where employers have carried out their first aid needs assessment and decided in line with the “First Aid Regulations of 1981” that this level of first aid training will meet your company requirements, legal obligations and HSE requirements.
The qualification and learning outcomes for first aid courses are based on the recommendations of:
• Resuscitation Council (UK)
• Assessment Principles for Regulated First Aid Qualifications
This qualification is:
• For people who deal with emergency first aid at work enabling them to be workplace emergency first aiders under the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
• Based on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) training standard for delivery of Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) courses for the purposes of the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
This qualification should enable Learners to attain the knowledge and practical competencies needed to deal with a range of emergency first aid situations.
Learners should be able to demonstrate the practical administration of safe, prompt, effective first aid in emergency situations with an understanding of the role of first aider.
1. Understand the role and responsibilities of a first aider
1.1 Identify the role and responsibilities of a first aider
1.2 Identify how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others
1.3 Identify the need for consent to provide first aid
2. Be able to assess an incident
2.1 Conduct a scene survey
2.2 Conduct a primary survey of a casualty
2.3 Summon appropriate assistance when necessary
3. Be able to provide first aid to an unresponsive casualty
3.1 Identify when to administer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
3.2 Demonstrate CPR using a manikin
3.3 Justify when to place a casualty into the recovery position
3.4 Demonstrate how to place a casualty into the recovery position
3.5 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty who is experiencing a seizure
4. Be able to provide first aid to a casualty who is choking
4.1 Identify when choking is:
4.2 Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
5. Know how to provide first aid to a casualty with external bleeding
5.1 Identify the severity of external bleeding
5.2 Demonstrate how to control external bleeding
6. Know how provide first aid to a casualty who is in shock
6.1 Recognise a casualty who is suffering from shock
6.2 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
7. Know how to provide first aid to a casualty with minor injuries
7.1 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty with:
• Small cuts
• Small splinters
7.2 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty with minor burns and scalds
Qualification Assessment and Certification
Formative assessment conducted by Trainer throughout the course.
Theory assessment/multiple choice question paper: 1 x 15 question paper (minimum score 11)
Practical assessment – 4 completed throughout the course
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). The RQF is a qualification framework regulated by Ofqual.
Delegates attending the first aid course receive a quality first aid manual. Sensible dress is advised as practical floor-based activities are required.
ACROSS THE UK